Thursday, July 10, 2008

The view from next tuesday...


So... the title of my blog. What's the deal with that? I seriously spent about 3 weeks contemplating names for this dang thing, and easily another oh, hour or two checking availability on my different ideas. I considered the usual -- you know, something with my name, or something catchy about what I do: "marianne's life," or "life as the super mom -- it's what I do." I could have gone with a clever one that hints at (or maybe screams) my interests: "the mommy-accordion lover- marathoner-snowboarder-mt.everest hiker-scuba diver-and all around great gal blog." Or of course there's just the ever popular and right to the point, "My Blog." They were all very good, very REAL possibilities... Well, except for the accordion-loving mt.everest hiker one... You know, since those interests don't actually belong to me.

I ended up choosing the name a coupla days ago, when for no reason at all, I was wide awake at 3 o'clock in the morning. Maybe it was because my husband's out of town and the bed just isn't the same without him. Maybe it was the fact that both of our Italian Greyhounds (obviously pictured above) honestly believe my bed is their bed and they're just tolerating my presence there but are secretly plotting my removal from that place as they slowly shove me out of it. Whatever the cause, I was wide awake and thinking. Okay, worrying. I spent a good hour fretting about whatever (I won't get into that because it turns out half of my concerns were actually part of a sleepy-funk and not really real concerns), then finally allowed my mind to wander elsewhere for another hour. By about 4:50 I decided I might actually be tired enough to fall back to sleep; but then I realized the rec center opens in 10 minutes, and I could just run over there and get my weights done. So I did.

POINT: Yes, there is one. As I walked into the weight room, I realized that I should completely ignore most thoughts of worry that occur to me between the hours of 11 pm and 5 am. I have to wait until it's actually morning before I freak out about things, because light, you see, has a knack of bringing with it... well, light. Understanding. Reality. Wakefulness -- that one's kind of key. And once I have light, I gain real perspective.

So when I realized I just needed morning perspective (as opposed to the crazy half-awake non-reality), I knew I had found my title. It's my happy reminder to myself that perspective just depends on where you're standing. Don't like your perspective? Try shifting to the right just a bit. Wait for the sun to show up. Or better yet, move to next Tuesday and you'll probably love the view.

1 comment:

Janet said...

I love your blog!! Keep posting please!1 You have no idea how helpful your words are to me!! You have such a positive out look on life and I, well, don't! But your blog sure helps me remember that I have a wonderful life that I should cherish and be grateful for, and that my kids are AMAZING!! Thanks Mar for the words of inspiration. I think this blog is for me!!